Saturday, March 22, 2008

Update/Weekend Reading

I haven't posted for a couple of days, and much like many businesses, it looks like my blog has suffered from a NCAA basketball-related lack of productivity. But I'm back and would like to discuss a couple of things...

The markets rebounded nicely this week, but considerable volatility remains the theme. In reading this morning's Barrons, many are saying we may have reached a bottom in stock prices. I'm still hesitant to call that. Corporate profits will be under stress in April after the week first quarter. I do like large stocks that are well-capitalized. Dupont (DD) is in nice shape with its exposure to the agricultural boom. More conservative commercial banks look good here. Wells Fargo (WFC) and U.S. Bank (USB) come to mind. Brokerage's still are highly risky plays, with Credit Suisse's (CS) profit warning this week as evidence of that.

I haven't bought into the rise in gold prices, and still won't. Gold has historically underperformed for years. It has had spikes in prices, but has always reverted. I still have to be bullish on oil, purely on a supply and demand logic. I'm excited about alternative energies, but none have shown themselves as good investments as of yet.

I added some Amazon.com features to the blog. I love shopping there. Their Kindle book reader really appears to be a nice product. I'd love to hear more about it if anyone has tried one. I still love Apple products though, and am planing on buying and ipod touch.

Have a great Easter!

No comments: