Thursday, August 13, 2009

What I'm Watching Today

Some retailers are reporting today, and I already reported Walmart's solid quarter. I've got my eye on a couple of data releases today, the railroad data and natural gas inventories.

-The Association of American Railroads will be posting their weekly rail freight data. This is one indicator that hasn't moved much so far this summer. If I see these numbers starting to move meaningfully higher, I will become much more bullish.

-We've also got the weekly natural gas inventories. I don't get to excited about this as the numbers can vary from week to week without showing much of a pattern. But, it always moves prices, and particularly the ETF UNG, which I hold. Lately, these inventory numbers have been good for a 5% move either way depending on where the numbers are relative to expectations. Those come out at 10:30 Eastern time, I believe.

I'll also be watching a few other random earnings numbers. And, oh yeah, I'll be keeping my eye on the PGA Championship, at Hazeltine. I had the pleasure of playing that course a couple of years ago, so it makes it even more fun to watch. The weather is great, and it should be an exciting tournament.

Here's me a few years ago at Hazeltine's 18th tee.




Disclosure: Long UNG

No comments: